The Orioles are off again today after completing a two game sweep of the Blue Jays to start the season 2-0. They welcome the Yankees to town for a three game set on Friday. In the meantime, minor league action officially gets under way tonight!
Here’s a roundup of Orioles related news this morning:
- It’s been a tough battle with injuries and concussions the last couple seasons for Craig Gentry, who is thankful for another chance to play in the big leagues.
- Here are some post-game quotes from Buck Showalter, courtesy of Roch Kubatko. Roch also mentions an amazing statistic. Zach Britton has now converted 50 consecutive save opportunities.
- Tough break for Dariel Alvarez who appears headed for Tommy John surgery not even a month after the Orioles announced his transition from the outfield to the mound.
- Dan Connolly talks about Dylan Bundy’s masterful outing Wednesday night in which he threw 19 first pitch strikes and utilized his slider more than we’ve seen in year’s past. That pitch could be his x factor.
- The Orioles have agreed to terms on a minor league deal with Edwin Jackson. The Dan Duquette “one’s man’s trash could be another man’s treasure” routine never sleeps.
- The Orioles officially broke out their new LED lights for their first home night game of the 2017 season and are eager to see the impact.
- Based on his strong 2016 finish, Stan “The Fan” Charles writes Kevin Gausman could be primed for greatness in 2017. The Orioles certainly are long overdue for a homegrown ace so let’s hope so.
- Richard Justice writes about OPACY’s 25th anniversary and reflects on the stadium’s legacy in this MLB.com article.
- The new trend appears to be to push the club’s more promising prospects towards the majors, writes Jon Meoli in the Baltimore Sun.
- Once again, minor league action kicks off tonight. You can follow along the box scores for each Oriole affiliate here. We will have summaries of each game posted on the site later tonight as well.