Kevin Gausman found himself in a pitcher’s duel tonight with Francisco Liriano. Gausman was able to keep the Jays off the board through the first five innings while the bats spotted him a 2-0 lead. In the 6th, after allowing an RBI double to Josh Donaldson, he worked out of the inning and left with 2-1 lead. The bullpen would hold on to deliver Gausman (6 IP, 5 H, ER, 2 BB, 3 K) his first victory of the season. He’s the Hangout Player of the Game.
- Jonathan Schoop had a nice night at the plate with a pair of doubles, one of which drove in a run in the 4th.
- J.J. Hardy drive in the other run in the 4th with an RBI single.
- That was about it on offense. Welington Castillo and Trey Mancini collected the only other two hits, both singles. Castillo scored on Schoop’s double.
- Zach Britton put on another tightrope act in the 9th. He allowed a single to Troy Tulowitzki followed by a walk to Russell Martin. A passed ball led to runners on second and third with one out. Britton was able to get Kevin Pillar to ground to Hardy who was playing in and got the out at first while holding Tulo at third. Britton then saved the day after Steve Pearce lined to center for the final out.
- Britton has now saved 53 consecutive games, the third longest streak in MLB history.