Trey Mancini played a key role in the offensive rout today in what was also his first career start at first base. The score was just 1-0 heading into the 6th. But after two runners got on base, the Orioles never looked back following Mancini’s three run blast into the second deck over the left field wall. Trey wasn’t done though. Later in the 8th he hit an absolute moonshot to straight center for his second homer of the day and 4th of the season. He finished 3-for-5 with 4 RBI. He has now homered 7 times in his first 12 MLB games and is the Hangout Player of the Game.
- Dylan Bundy looked sharp again today holding the Blue Jays scoreless over six strong innings of work. The Jays best chance at scoring arguably came in the first after they put runners on first and third with no outs. Bundy proceeded to strikeout Jose Bautista though and then followed with a key inning ending double play off the bat of Kendrys Morales. Bundy mostly cruised along from there en route to victory. He’s now 2-1 with a 1.86 ERA. Final Line: 6 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, BB, 6 K, Win.
- The bats struggled to get much going early in the game, typically the case for this group when they face J.A. Happ. Happ would leave the game in the 5th though due to elbow soreness and the floodgates came open against the Jays bullpen.
- Adam Jones put the first run on the board in the 5th with an RBI single. Hardy scored on the play after Jones found himself in a rundown between first and second.
- Following the Mancini three-run blast in the 6th, J.J. Hardy hit an RBI double. Hardy would finish 3-for-5 at the plate.
- Craig Gentry had a nice afternoon, finishing 2-for-4 with a home run and 3 RBI. His first RBI came in the 6th on a sac fly that capped off the five run inning. He then followed Mancini’s solo shot in the 8th with a two-run homer, his first of the season.
- Manny Machado got in on the action too with an opposite field two-run home run in the 8th that hit off the right field foul pole.
- Stefan Crichton made his major league debut today. He pitched the 7th and got two outs in the 8th. He’ll need to improve his fastball command within the zone next time out as he allowed two runs to pass on five hits while picking up a pair of strikeouts.
- Tyler Wilson got the final out of the 8th and gave way to Vidal Nuno who pitched the 9th.
- Nuno finished the game out allowing two runs in the 9th on a home run by Kevin Pillar.
- No errors today for the Oriole defenders.
- Dylan Bundy threw a bullet to first base after fielding a weak chopper down the third base line from Chris Coghlan.
- Trey Mancini made a nice leaping catch on a liner to first base after which he tagged first real quick before the runner got back for an unassisted double play.
The 1st place Orioles are now 8-3 after taking 3 out of 4 in Toronto. They have off tomorrow before heading to Cincinnati for their first interleague series starting Tuesday.