Adam Jones hit a two run homer in the 5th inning, his 3rd of the season. He finished 1-for-3 with a walk and 2 RBI. He’s the Hangout Player of the Game.
- This one was tough to watch as Kevin Gausman suffered an early exit with 8 earned runs charged to his name by the end of third inning. Gausman just wasn’t commanding the fastball well and the Reds did an excellent job of making their hits count when there were runners on. This was best exemplified in the 2nd inning when Adam Duvall put this game away early with a key grand slam off an 0-2 slider that he somehow gulf swung out of the stadium. That honestly wasn’t even that bad of a pitch from Gausman but sometimes when it rains, it pours. Let’s hope he figures out what went wrong when he studies film this week and can return to his usual solid form next outing. Final Line: 2.2 IP, 8 H, 8 ER, 3 BB, 2 K, Loss.
- The bats only managed three runs tonight, all off Reds starter Bronson Arroyo, who is somehow back in the majors at age 40. One would think they may have fared better had they not had such a large early deficit to climb out of but you never know with this group.
- Welington Castillo doubled in the 2nd and later scored on an RBI single from Jonathan Schoop. Castillo finished 2-for-4 at the plate.
- Mark Trumbo also had a two hit game, finishing 2-for-4 with a pair of singles.
- Vidal Nuno served up a two-run bomb to Joey Votto upon entering the game in the 3rd with an inherited runner and two outs. He bounced back to work the next two innings without allowing a run while striking out four.
- Mychal Givens worked a scoreless 6th and Tyler Wilson finished out the game with two scoreless innings of relief.
- Manny Machado committed a fielding error in the first that allowed Scooter Gennett to reach first. You know it’s a game to forget when even Manny isn’t playing his usual stellar defense at third.
The Orioles will look to bounce back from tonight’s laugher same time tomorrow. Ubaldo Jimenez is slated to pitch against rookie lefty Amir Garrett.