The Orioles will look to even the series tonight in Cincinnati following last night’s 9-3 laugher. Ubaldo Jimenez takes the mound against rookie left-hander Amir Garrett, who is also a former college basketball player for St. John’s.
Here’s a roundup of Orioles related news this morning:
- Seth Smith left last night’s game in the 6th inning after straining his right hamstring, the same one that gave him trouble in spring training. Roch Kubatko writes that Smith is downplaying the injury but it’s still plausible that a DL stint could be under consideration.
- The Orioles have a tough decision to make on Joey Rickard who is eligible to come off the DL today writes Roch Kubatko. Will he be sent down, placed on the DL again if the finger still isn’t fully healed, or does Seth Smith perhaps take his place on the DL? Stay tuned.
- Tanner Scott has been starting and working three inning stints for the Baysox this year. But the longterm plan is still the bullpen for him, writes Jacob Troxwell for Pressbox.
- Zach Britton is “feeling better” reports Rich Dubroff, but no timetable has been set yet for his return.
- The Orioles have made a flurry of early season trades as they hunt for upgrades to the 40-man roster. As Dan Duquette likes to say, the “offseason” is a year-round process for the Orioles as they are in constant search for new talent.
- The Orioles will need a 5th starter again this Saturday but the club hasn’t made a determination yet on whether Alec Asher or someone else will take that turn.
- Who will be the biggest surprise for the Orioles this season asks Dan Connolly in this blog post.
- Will the Orioles regret not dealing their closer at his peak value? Matthew Cassidy makes his case in this Camden Depot blog post.
- A woman who was injured by an errant bat flying into the stands last summer is suing for better fan protection at baseball games.
- Here’s a rookie profile on the newest addition to the Oriole roster, reliever Stefan Crichton.
- Want to know what inspired Rick Dempsey’s rain delay antics? He answers that in this interview with The Post Game and has a new book coming out soon called If These Walls Could Talk.