This one was over early as the Yankees jumped out to a 5-0 lead by the end of the second inning and cruised to a 12-4 victory.
Player of the Game
- Caleb Joseph finally got off the schneid. After going the entire 2016 season without a home run or even an RBI, Caleb took care of both with a two-run shot in the 9th inning. He finished 2-for-4 at the plate with 2 RBI.
- Ubaldo Jimenez did not have good fastball command today and the Yankees made him pay. Brett Gardner in particular was a thorn in Ubaldo’s side. He led the game off with a home run and blasted a three run shot in the bottom of the second to put a dagger in Jimenez’s day early. Jimenez lasted just 3.1 innings and took the loss. Final Line: 3.1 IP, 5 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 4 K, Loss.
- Once again the Yankees gave the Oriole bullpen a fit, tacking on an additional five runs to the seven they picked up against Jimenez.
- Vidal Nuno worked two innings and allowed a two run shot to Austin Romine.
- Jayson Aquino took over with one out in the 6th and proceeded to work 1.2 innings. He allowed three runs including a two run blast to Aaron Judge, who has been a one man wrecking crew this season it seems.
- The bats were mostly shut down by Yankees starter Michael Pineda, who earned the win with 5.1 innings of work and two unearned runs in the 6th.
- Manny Machado walked and hit an RBI double in the 6th. Machado later scored in the 6th on a throwing error from Chase Headley that allowed Mark Trumbo to reach first.
- Adam Jones had a two hit day at the plate, both singles.