The Yankees gave their very best effort to steal another game away from the Orioles, tying the game up 4-4 in the bottom of the 9th after the O’s led most of the way. The birds didn’t back down though and grinded their way to a much needed extra inning win.
Player of the Game
- Welington Castillo helped a struggling Wade Miley navigate his way through five innings without the wheels coming off the wagon. He also had a nice day at the plate, finishing 3-for-6 with an RBI. He delivered a key hit in the top of the 11th that drove in a runner from second. A second run came in on the play after the Yankees attempted to catch Castillo in a rundown before throwing to third and then to home but not before Mark Trumbo scored. Castillo is the Hangout Player of the Game.
- Wade Miley turned in another effectively wild performance today. The first Yankee run he allowed came in the first with a solo home run allowed to Matt Holliday. The second inning in particular was key for him as the Yankees had a good scoring opportunity with runners on first and second with no outs. Miley proceeded to strike out the side to work out of that jam. He wasn’t quite as fortunate in the third as Chase Headley was able to knock in a run with an RBI single before Miley worked out of the inning. He allowed baserunners again in the 4th and 5th but worked clean innings. Damage control was key for Miley today as he allowed a total of 13 baserunners over his five innings of work. Final Line: 5 IP, 8 H, 2 ER, 5 BB, 6 K, No Decision.
- The Oriole bullpen is ready to leave New York. The Yankees were able to get to them again in the 9th, tying the game up. Other than that, the pen was pretty solid today.
- Mychal Givens tossed two dominant innings in the 6th and 7th, allowing just one hit while fanning two.
- Brad Brach pitched the 8th and allowed just one hit while striking out one.
- Darren O’Day was tasked with preserving the two run lead in the 9th. After allowing a single to Matt Holliday, Aaron Judge drew a two-out walk to keep the game alive. O’Day then proceeded to balk on a pickoff attempt (a call which Buck Showalter got ejected over). After intentionally walking Chase Headley, a call was made for Donnie Hart to face lefty swinger Didi Gregorious.
- Gregorious delivered a game tying single up the middle. Hart then struck out Chris Carter to send the game to extras.
- Logan Verrett took over in extras. He delivered two scoreless innings and picked up the win in this one.
- The bats collected seven runs on 11 hits today, none via the long ball.
- Adam Jones put the Orioles on the board with an RBI single in the third. Jones
- Manny Machado walked three times and scored twice.
- Mark Trumbo delivered the key go ahead RBI single in the top of the 11th.
- Jonathan Schoop highlighted the Orioles three-run 6th with an RBI double.
- In the bottom of the 7th, Jonathan Schoop made a terrific barehanded play on a grounder, tossing a bullet to first that an outstretched Trey Mancini made a nice job of catching while keeping his foot on the base.