You can never count this bunch out. Down 4-1 heading to the bottom of the 8th, the Orioles rallied for one in the 8th and two in the 9th to send the game to extras. In the bottom of the 12th with the bases loaded, Mark Trumbo delivered a walkoff RBI single to win it!
Player of the Game
- Seth Smith ended Max Scherzer’s no-hit bid in the 6th with a solo shot, his 3rd homer of the season. He finished 2-for-4 at the plate, also drawing a walk, as he continues to be an effective leadoff man for the Orioles.
- For most of the night, Ubaldo Jimenez went toe-to-toe with Max Scherzer. He allowed a solo home run in the 2nd to Daniel Murphy and that would be it until the 8th inning. Things unraveled in the 8th as Buck let Ubaldo go perhaps a batter too long when he let him pitch to Adam Lind with a couple runners on board. Sure enough, Lind crushed a three run homer. The Orioles would rally though to let Jimenez off the hook. Final Line: 7.2 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 6 K, No Decision.
- Adam Jones crushed a solo home run in the bottom of the 8th to cut the Nationals lead to two. He finished 2-for-6 on the night.
- Jonathan Schoop hit a clutch RBI double in the 9th to cut the lead to one. Schoop finished 2-for-3 with a pair of doubles and a walk.
- J.J. Hardy then tied the game with an RBI single into the center to send this one to extras!
- Mychal Givens picked up the final out of the 8th and worked a scoreless 9th, striking out three in the process.
- Logan Verrett delivered three scoreless innings in extras, deservedly picking up the win in this one.
- Caleb Joseph made a nice play in the 12th on a sac bunt attempt, aggressively gunning down the runner heading to second. That same inning, Craig Gentry caught a liner in left and was able to double up the runner at first who attempted a steal on the play.