Feels like a gut punch. No offense whatsoever when the starter goes deep. Joe Angel says “At least no one got hurt.”
Kevin Gausman pitched six and two-thirds innings. He struck out two, allowed eight hits. Walked none. Two of those hits were solo home runs.
Mychal Givens allowed two hits in his inning and a third of work.
Chris Davis has Steve Sax disease, of the bat head. He can’t swing.
Manny Machado doubled twice.
Jonathan Schoop doubled and singled.
Jonathan Schoop missed a catch again. Gausman worked around it.
- “In the third, with a runner on 1st, Manny charged a chopper that took a weird hop but he corralled it and made a perfect throw to Schoop, who dropped it.
- Later in the inning, Altuve hit a sky high chopper in front of the mound but Castillo grabbed it and fired to 1st, narrowly beating Altuve.
- Manny slid to field a grounder and threw to 2B from his butt to force a runner.
- Schoop made a diving stop of a grounder in the hole and threw the runner out.
- There was a play where Schoop was on the SS side of 2B and couldn’t get to a grounder hit just to the 2B side of the bag. A quicker 2B makes that play IMO.
- With runners on 1st and 3rd and nobody out in the 8th, infield playing in, a grounder was hit to Janish, who froze Correa at 3B, then flipped to Schoop for the force. Correa took off for home but Schoop made a strong throw home, slightly off line to the 3B line but Castillo was able to grab it and make the tag.
- Kim made a very nice diving catch to end the 8th inning.”