Although we do our official Hangout prospect list at the end of the season, we thought it would be fun to do a Prospect power rankings that will updated throughout the season. This list is mainly gives you a quick glance of who’s moving up and down and who is moving on and off the prospect scene. Note, the end of season rankings may not match the final list that will be done after all scouting reports and analysis has been completed.
Up from #5 Pre Season
Continues to bash the baseball. He’s slashing .327/.360/.589/.949 with 22 HR in 379 PA between Frederick and Bowie.
Up from #10 Pre Season
Slashing .317/.345/.550/.895 with 15 homers and 35 doubles in 371 PAs at Frederick at just 20-years old.
Unranked Pre Season (1st round draft pick 2017)
A 2017 1st round pick brings one of the best left-handed arms in the draft into the Orioles organization. Probably won’t get a ton of innings in this summer but has as much upside as any pitcher in the organization.
Down from #2 Pre Season
After a really slow start, has started to put it together in June and looks like the dominant pitcher he was last year in Aberdeen. In four June starts he has a 1.23 ERA with a 25 to 8 K to BB ratio in 22 IP while holding batters to a .156/.235/.221/.456 slash line. A few more starts like that and he can finish the year in Bowie.
Up from #4 Pre Season
Only moved down because he hasn’t pitched and Hall signed and Akin is on a roll. From all reports he’s on track to pitch possibly as early as July in a rehab game and could be pitching out of a rotation by August if all goes to plan.
Up from #17 Pre Season
Went back on the DL due to a hamstring “spasm” but was supposed to be day to day, but hasn’t returned after the All-Star break. Doing well when not hurt.
Up from #20 Pre Season
Pitched an inning and hit 100 MPH in the Future game at the All-star break. If the orioles go into rebuild mode could get some innings in Baltimore in August or September.
Down from #3 Pre Season
Holding his own but still not really putting up any kind of numbers to get noticed. Throwing out just 19% of base runners won’t help him with Buck.
Down from #8 Pre Season
Has a 2.08 ERA over his last 4 starts with 21 Ks and just one walk.
Unranked Pre Season (2nd round draftpick 2017)
A 2017 2nd round draft pick, the right-handed hitting shortstop has plus speed and average hit tool and defense. Signed but hasn’t made his professional debut yet.
11. Cody Sedlock – On the DL after struggling in the first half. A terrible first full pro season for the 2016 1st rounder.
12. Tobias Myers – 18-year old is off to a great start at Aberdeen with a 23-4 K-Bb ratio in 4 starts through 17.2 IP.
13. Brenan Hanifee – 19-year old has a 1.61 ERA in 5 starts at Aberdeen.
14. Anthony Santander OF – (DL)
15. Ademar Rifaela OF – (FRE) – Slashing 325/.379/.513/.892 over last 28 days.
16. Austin Wynns C – (BOW) – Bothered by some nagging injuries of late.
17. Jesus Liranzo RHP – (BOW) – On the Tanner Scott 3-inning start plan and has been better.
18. Lucas Long RHP – (BOW) – Just keep getting guys out and when his secondaries are working, he’s as good as the org has in the upper minors.
19. Jayson Aquino LHP – (NOR) – Got a spot start in Baltimore and did ok. Could be back for good if the team goes into rebuild mode like they should.
20. Jhon Peluffo RHP – (DEL) – Young hurler holding own in Delmarva
21. Zac Lowther LHP – (ABN) – Missing bats and pretty much unhittable in his three inning stints.
22. Matthias Dietz RHP – (DEL) – 2.87 ERA over his last six starts.
23. David Hess RHP – (BOW) – 2.59 ERA and 25K to 11B in last 24.1 IP.
24. DJ Stewart LF – (BOW) – Slashing .318/.389/.568/.957 in July
25. Ben Breazeale C (ABN) – 7th round pick is slashing .433/.519/.642/1.161 in 79 PAs in NY-Penn Lg. 2.0 pop times as well and a left-handed hitter.
26. Zach Muckenhirn LHP – (DEL) – Has given up three of less ER in 13 of his 18 starts.
27. Ofelky Peralta RHP – (FRE) – May need to go on the Tanner Scott three inning plan due to lack of command.
28. Jomar Reyes 3B – (FRE) – Was hitting a little bit when he punched a wall and broke his hand.
29. Seamus Curran 1B – (ABN) – Has shown legimiate power but big swing has led to a lot of Ks.
30. Michael Baumann RHP – (ABN) – Hard throwing third round pick has missed some bats early on.
Dropped out: Aderlin Rodriguez, Gabriel Ynoa, Jake Ring, David Washington, Chris Lee, Steve Wilkerson.