The Yankees were too much against Chris Tillman and a short bullpen as they beat the Orioles 8-3. Tillman (0-2, 8.68) allows five runs over five and a third innings to take the loss.
Player of Game:
Trey Mancini went 2-for-4 with a double as he continue
– Chris Tillman hung in through five innings allowing just three innings but manager Buck Showalater wanted more and sent him out for a 6th and predictably he struggled allowing two more runs before Richard Bleier was brought in to put out the rally. Overall Tillman allowed five runs on eight hits and four walks over just five and a third innings. Tillman’s breaking stuff was a little better today and he actually got a strikeout on a high fastball, but his lack of command and stuff just eventually caught up to him.
Highlighted hitting moments:
– Manny Machado tied the game in the 3rd with a two-run double off Yankees starter Sonny Gray.
– Pedro Alvarez doubled in Tim Beckam in the 4th to give the Orioles a 3-2 lead.
Highlighted pitching moments:
– Richard Bleier came on in the 6th in relief of Tillman and immediately got a double play to get out of the inning with no more damage. Bleier had thrown 26 pitches the night before.
– Jimmy Yacabonis came on in the 7th and allowed three runs on two hits and two walks as he continues to struggle at the major league level.
Highlighted fielding moments:
– Machado went deep in the hole on a ball Beckam should have fielded, backhanded the ball and threw a strike to first base to make a highlight reel play. That’s a play Hardy could never make.
– In the 6th, Chris Davis let a ball bounce off his glove and fall in to cost the Tillman and a team a run. It was a tough over the shoulder play, but a play he’s made many times in the past.