Written by Michael Williams
- Nate McLouth started off the game with a solo homer. The Orioles did not take advantage of a bases loaded, one out situation after Adam Jones had knocked in the Orioles second run. Wei-Yin Chen was just about unhittable through four innings. The bullpen was ragged again with the exception of Darren O'Day. Matt Wieters homered in the ninth inning.
- Wei-Yin Chen made it to the fifth inning before allowing a lead-off double and a wild pitch before a run scoring single - He had retired ten in arrow before the fifth. A double play limited the damage. Wei-Yin gave up a lead-off home run to start the sixth inning. Chen finished off the sixth inning with his seventh strike out. He walked the first batter in the seventh inning and allowed a two run homer before being removed.
-Charlie Culbertson hit his first homer to tie the game to lead off the sixth inning.
- Francisco Rodriguez got out of the seventh inning trouble, but allowed a solo home run and a single before being lifted with a groin injury in the eighth inning.
- Darren O’Day pitched the rest of the eighth inning with no further damage.
- Jim Johnson allowed a ninth inning homer by Todd Helton.
- Nate McLouth homered to lead off the game.
- Adam Jones singled with the bases loaded. Only one run scored, but a poor throw from right field would not have gotten the runner from second had he been sent.
- Matt Wieters hit his 17th home run to deep centerfield in the ninth inning.
- Nate McLouth saved a run for the time being with an outstanding over the shoulder catch in the rocky fifth inning. It would have been a certain double and may have lead to a second run for the Rockies.
- Manny Machado saved a double with a great deep angle play, throwing Dexter Fowler out from left field after the home run in the sixth inning.
Key Moments in Game:
- The Orioles left the bases loaded in the third inning when Nick Markakis was unable to put the ball in play. Matt Wieters ran an eight pitch at bat before lining out to second with two outs.
- Wei-Yin Chen walked the lead-off hitter in the seventh inning and then Wilin Rosario homered. He was replaced by Francisco Rodriguez with no outs.
- Francisco Rodriguez allowed a solo homer to Charlie Blackmon and then a single to Dexter Fowler before leaving with an injury.
Observations and Musings
- Buck Showalter went an inning too far with his starter again.
- The Orioles bats went silent again after the early innings.
- Jim Johnson pitched the ninth inning trailing by three runs. He allowed a home run.
Visit the Orioles Hangout Message Board