Written by Michael Williams
Miguel Gonzalez was erratic, allowed three runs, and left the bases loaded in the fifth inning. The Orioles managed four runs, in part due to Manny Machado's two run homer off Alex Cobb. The Orioles had regained a lead before Evan Meek and Brian Matusz combined to throw it all away. A seven run 6th inning was all that needed to be talked about here, really.
-Miguel Gonzalez struggled, allowed two solo home runs, and was fortunate that he only gave up three runs instead of the six he appeared destined to. The four walks were unacceptable for someone with very limited stuff, unlike Ubaldo Jimenez, who appears to be making that type of pitching work lately
Final Line: 4 2/3 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 4 BB, 2 K.
- Evan Meek got the final out of the fifth inning with the bases loaded, but came apart after the Orioles had retaken the lead in the sixth to surrened a solo homer and a double and a single. A triple short of the sixth inning cycle.
- Brian Matusz was awful. He allowed a double that scored two of Meek's four runs. Then three of his own on a home run. He appears to be the next rat off the ship. Buck left him out there. He gave up another two run homer. He'll be pitching independant ball before long.
- Tommy Hunter worked the 9th inning. Three pitches Three outs.
- Manny Machado hit a two run homer.
- Nick Markakis manufactured a run by himself in the 5th.
- Ryan Flaherty hit a three run homer in the 9th.
- In the 5th inning, Nick Hundley cut down a baserunner. Before a solo homer.
- In the 6th inning, Nick Markakis may have been able to get to the double that broke the game open, but he did not.
Key Moments in game
- Evan Meek collapsed in the top of the 6th
- Brian Matusz
Observations and musings
- Miguel Gonzalez is struggling.
- Evan Meek should probably not be part of the bullpen.
- I do not enjoy Brian Matusz pitching. That was a big bust of an early first round draft pick. Someone is not thinking right if he is permitted to keep this up down the stretch.
Visit the Orioles Hangout Message Board