Seth Smith went far towards winning Baltimore’s love with a two run, game changing blast into the cold dark night to beat the Yankees, 6-5 on Friday night. It cleared the out of town scoreboard in right. He’ll like the flag court.
The Orioles are on a 3-0 start to the season, the Yankees have but one win in four.
Player of Game:
Seth Smith also doubled and scored the first run to tie the game in the first inning.
– Ubaldo Jimenez allowed 5 Runs in 4.1 IP, 7 H, 1 BB, 7 K on 94 pitches.
– He was Ubaldo, serving two home runs and baffling five Yankees with Ks.
Highlighted hitting moments:
Highlighted pitching moments:
– In the top of the 8th inning, Brad Brach struck out the side. With the lead.
– Zach Britton induced two ground outs after a strike out and the crowd went home delirious.
– Jonathan Schoop reached base on a throwing error by Chase Headley in the bottom of the 7th inning.
– Chris Davis was the story tonight, making 3 incredible scoops including a really tough one in the 9th off a throw from Zach Britton, one from Manny and one from Schoop.
– Welington Castillo called another fantastic game. He threw out Gary Sanchez as well.
– I really liked how Schoop immediately turned and gunned it to second when Bird didn’t pick Headley’s throw. A moment’s hesitation and he would have had to hold at first and the whole inning might have gone differently.
– Bird isn’t Tex out there on defense. He should have picked that throw, and he also was very slow to react on Smith’s double down the line in the first inning. Not an error by any stretch, but I think a top quality 1B has a decent shot at stabbing that hit or at least getting a glove on it.
– It’s nice to see an Oriole who’s asked to bunt actually execute it perfectly (thanks, JJ).
– I’m glad Davis is making all the scoops, but we’ve bounced quite a few throws in situations where the throw shouldn’t have been difficult. I hope the infielders stop challenging Davis so much.
– The O’s have scored 9 of their 11 runs so far via the HR. Even by their standards, that’s extreme.