After struggling his first two outings of the news season, Ubaldo Jimenez was in desperate need of a quality start. He delivered just that tonight, holding the Reds scoreless over 7 2/3 innings of work. In fact, they only collected two hits and four walks against him while striking out 7 times. Ubaldo is the Hangout Player of the Game!
- Reds starter Amir Garrett is a talented young arm and that showed tonight as he racked up 12 strikeouts over 7 solid innings of work. The bats were able to muster a couple runs against him though and that proved to be the difference in this one.
- In the top of the 2nd, Mark Trumbo singled and Welington Castillo later followed with a double to put runners on second and third for Jonathan Schoop. Schoop delivered with a line drive single into center field to give the O’s an early 1-0 lead.
- Manny Machado sac flied in J.J. Hardy in the top of the 5th to give the Orioles their second and final run.
- Donnie Hart entered the game with two outs and a runner on second in the 8th inning. He proceeded to retire Joey Votto on a flyout in foul territory which Craig Gentry made an excellent catch on the run as he crashed into the stands.
- Brad Brach delivered a 1-2-3 inning in his first save opportunity as the Orioles interim closer, striking out one in the process.